HEDCO is capable to perform Basic
engineering and process design of the utility and offsite facilities. HEDCO also
performs the extension of basic engineering and develops Process Design Package
(PDP), using the know-how supplied by client/licensor and the use of proven
design techniques, comprising the following:
• Process configuration and Specifications
• Process and utilities Flow Diagrams with energy and mass balance and operating
• Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams
• Process data sheets for mechanical equipment
• Equipment and Piping Schedules
• Instrument Data Sheets
• Catalyst, Chemicals Specifications
• Effluent Specifications
• Preliminary Plot Plans
• Operating Instructions
During detail engineering, the design
of the project in most applicable details in respective departments will be
performed, such that the plant can be safely installed at site without any
technical difficulty and with cost- effective construction After basic
engineering, the subsequent stage of detail design and engineering of the
project is performed in the respective engineering departments under
responsibility of the lead engineers assigned to the project team. The following
topics shall be followed:
• Design constructability of all equipment
• Proper construction and process documentation
• Economical procurement of materials with the best quality
• Planning and Time scheduling to perform the project in minimum time
• Work package and other materials requisitions
Process department employs well
qualified and experienced process engineers to provide services to clients needs
in the field of oil, gas and petrochemical industries. Process department by its
own or in collaboration with reputable world class design and engineering
contractors provide Basic Engineering packages as well as complete Detailed
Engineering design for various process, utility and off-site units in oil, gas,
and petrochemical industries.. Process department activities are carried out in
the following sections:
• Process units design & engineering
• Utility & Off-site units design & engineering
• Process operations
• Process department establishes the Operation section instructions by
incorporating operational and maintenance view points at an early stage during
• Preparation of Process Flow Diagrams (PFD), Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams
(P&ID), Utility Flow Diagrams (UFD) & Utility Distribution Diagrams (UDD)
• Preparation of Equipment and Instrument Data Sheets
• Preparation of Equipment List, Line List
• Health, Safety, & Environment (HSE) engineering
HSE activities nowadays plays a major role in the design of new plants and
therefore HEDCO allocates a dedicated section HSE under supervision of Process
department to fulfill clients requirements regarding personnel health, plant
safety and clean environment issues, using local and international standards and
regulations such as ISO14000, and OHSAS18000.
After preparation of he unit equipment layout in basic
engineering stage, the main task of piping department in detail enginering is to
prepare the 3D model of the plant indicating all equipment and piping materials
using PDMS software. Then the estimation of all piping materials required and
the purchase of them are in Piping department scope. Meanwhile considering the
high temperature and pressure in process areas, the exact analysis are required
for stress of ppings and providing reasonable solution to decrease the tension
on the pipes and supports. The activities and relevant documentation are as
• Design and Preparation of Layout for Equipments, Buildings, Roads, …
• Preparation of Piping Standards and Specifications
• Design and Preparation of 3D Model with Engineering Software ( PDMS, PDS )
• Design and Preparation of Piping Layout Drawings
• Design and Preparation of Isometric Drawings
• Design and Preparation of Underground Piping Layout Drawings
• Design and Preparation of Underground cable trench Drawings
Stress Analysis with Engineering Software (CAESARII , TRIFLEX)
• Design of Piping Supports and Related Requisitioning
• Evaluation of piping material
• Requisitioning and Purchasing for Piping Materials
Incorporation with other departments for purchase of mechanical equipment such
as vendor document review and comment, etc.
This department is responsible for
performing detailed engineering activities for static equipment including ,
Pressure Vessels (Reactors, Distillation Towers, …), Storage Tanks, Different
types of Heat Exchangers, Heaters, Boilers flares and etc; The following
activities are being performed for the aforementioned equipments:
• Mechanical calculations by various engineering software
• Preparation of mechanical data sheets indicating data for thickness, weight,
wind & seismic loads, nozzle properties, support details, etc.
• Preparation of engineering specifications and standard drawings based on
international standards and previous experiences.
• Preparation of material & purchase requisitions, review of vendors’ offers and
issue of technical bid analysis for each requisition.
• Reviewing vendor documents including mechanical calculations and fabrication
drawings and send the comments and/or purchaser’s approval.
• Offering engineering services during shop fabrication and during site
installation and start up.
This department is responsible for performing requisitioning activities for all
types of rotating equipment and mechanical systems such as pumps, compressors,
turbines, blowers, and bulk handling systems, mixers, agitators and other
similar equipment. The following activities are being performed for
requisitioning of rotating equipment and mechanical systems:
• Review of process load data sheets
• Preparation and completion of process load data sheets and inclusion of
required data to enable the vendors to design and manufacture the specified
• Preparation of material requisition complete with the necessary data from
other departments and indicating the codes/ standards and spare parts
requirements, test, and all other delivery conditions.
• Performing technical queries (T.Q.) with vendors to complete and equalize the
• Performing technical bid analysis and provide the report.
• Issue of purchase requisition for the selected vendor.
• Reviewing vendor documents and fabrication drawings and submit the comments
and/or purchaser’s approval.
• Offering engineering services during shop fabrication and during site
installation and start up.
Electrical department has the responsibility for providing and distribution the
electrical system for different parts of the plant, control and protection
systems, lighting for different areas, and communication systems. The activities
and relevant documentation issued will be as follows:
• Preparation of Load summary and consumer lists
• Electrical Load analysis such as load flow, transient stability and short
• Hazardous Area classification
• Electrical single line diagram
• Cable layouts, Grounding layouts and Lighting layouts
• Cable list, including all cable details and required lengths for each item
• Communication system layout (telephone and paging)
• Substations layouts (power, grounding, lighting, equipment layout, etc.)
• Installation drawings (Power, grounding, lighting, communication)
• Preparation of material & purchase requisitions for electrical items, review
of vendors’ offers and issue of technical bid analysis for each requisition,
reviewing vendor documents after order.
• Review of other department vendor’s documents from electrical point of view
All the required activities for control and measurement of data within the plant
are in Instrument department scope. The activities and relevant documentation
issued will be as follows:
• Provision of Instrument Data Sheets
• Preparation of control system block diagram
• Preparation of Instrument Index
• Preparation of Package control system block diagram
• Provision of Instruments Technical Specifications
• Prepare the Calculations for different types of instruments
• Provision of Loop Diagrams
• Provision of Interlock/Logic Diagrams
• Provision of I/O lists for Control system and Emergency Shut Down system (ESD)
• Provision of Material Requisitions for Instrument items and then Technical
Queries with Vendors, Prepare the TBA (Technical Bid Analysis) , Provision of
Purchase Requisition and after all, Vendors Documents review and checking
• Prepare the control room different instrument layouts
• Instrument cable lists
• Provision of Instrument Field / Cable Layouts
• Provision of Material Take Off for Cables, Cable Tray/ Ladder, Junction boxes,
Cable Glands, Instrument Pipes / Tubes & Fittings.
• Provision of Instrument Cable List
• Provision of Instrument JB Arrangement Diagram
• Provision of Instrument Process Piping Hook ups
• Provision of Instrument Air Piping Details
• Provision of Instrument Electrical Connection Details
• Provision of Instrument Mounting Details
Structure department has the responsibility of all engineering activities
related to structure such as foundations, steel structures, buildings, etc. The
department services and the relevant documents issued by the structure
department are as follows:
• Preparation of the soil investigation report requisition and control of the
report which prepared by the subcontractor.
• Establishment of the standard specifications, based on the project contract
and the relevant codes
• Preparation of the civil construction bid documents.
• Steel structure and anchor bolt requisition.
• Pile construction details.
• Foundations and concrete structure detailed construction drawings.
• Material take off and bar bending list.
• Architectural drawings of the buildings.
• Heat, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) design for the buildings.
• Design of plumbing for the buildings.
• Engineering drawings of steel structures.
• Fabrication drawings for the steel structures.
• Design of structures for the blast loading.
• Design of foundations for the vibrating machinery.